Product has been added to the basket

Library and Information Services

William Bullock's Egyptian Museum

Bullock Museum exterior
Bullock Museum interior
Top: Exterior of Bullock's Egyptian Museum, 1815
Below: Interior of the Museum, 1810. Both images by T H Shepherd. Source: Wellcome Trust.
William Bullock (c.1773-1849) first opened his museum in Liverpool in 1795 whilst trading as a jeweller and goldsmith.  The contents, including works of art, natural history objects, armour and curiosities from Captain Cook’s south sea voyages, were relocated to London in 1809 opening initially as the ‘Liverpool Museum’ in Piccadilly.  In 1812 it moved along the road to the newly built Egyptian Hall and despite its popularity, Bullock sold the contents in 1819 and rented the Hall out for short term events.  Bullock’s final exhibition in 1824 displayed artefacts from ancient and modern Mexico gathered from his travels there between 1822-1823.  Bullock sold the Hall in 1825 which was eventually demolished in 1905.

<< Back to the exhibition