Product has been added to the basket

Map of Scarborough, 1831

Scarborough
Geological Map of Scarborough, 1831 - 
Click to enlarge

Rotunda
Scarborough Museum, 1828
William Smith moved to Scarborough in 1834, after retiring from his post at Hackness, however he had close associations with the town from 1820, when his presence there prompted a number of scientifically minded gentlemen from the local community to consider the establishment of a museum to collect and display the natural history of the neighbourhood. The Scarborough Museum, now known as The Rotunda, was constructed by the architect Richard Sharpe of York (opening to the public in 1829) but its unusual circular design was suggested by Smith as being the best method of exhibiting specimens to illustrate their stratigraphical order. Smith’s employer, Sir John Johnstone served as a trustee to the new Museum and was also president of the Scarborough Philosophical Society (established in 1827) which oversaw it.

The above map is one of Smith’s last completed geological works. The geology is indicated by hand colouring the existing base map, 'A map of the country round Scarborough in the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire from actual trigonometrical survey with topographical geological and antiquarian descriptions by Robert Knox of Scarborough, published June 1, 1821'. Smith has signed and dated the map in the bottom right hand corner.

The difference in the colouring is very subtle and there is no colour key, instead the strata is labelled around the edges:
Light blue – Sandstone, shale & coal
Yellow – Grey or Bath Oolite
Red – Dogger or Inferior Oolite
Grey – Alum or Lias Shale
Light brown – Hackness or Kelloways [Kellaways] Rock
Mid brown – Calcareous Grit
Mid blue – Oxford Clay
Greyish blue – Kimmeridge Clay
Light orange – Coralline Oolite
Green – Chalk
 

<<Final years

'Stratification in Hackness Hills'>>